Chronology of the Cockrell School

Many milestone events occurred during the storied history of the Cockrell School from 1882 to today.

1882
Cornerstone of Old Main Building laid and Ashbel Smith treated the crowd to a 2½ hour speech
1883
UT opens for classes
1885
Orange and white ribbons make their first appearance at a UT baseball game
The Texas Ex-Students' Association organized
1888
T.U. Taylor begins teaching engineering at UT
First engineering degree awarded - William H. P. Hunnicut, B.S.C.E. 1888
State Capitol Building, the largest in the nation, dedicated
1894
The Department of Engineering established
The Cactus Yearbook first published
1900
The university's student newspaper, The Texan, first published
1903
The engineering department faculty Civil Engineering Department established
Mining Engineering Department established (ended in 1913)
Electrical Engineering Department established
"Eyes of Texas" written and performed
1904
Old Engineering Building completed (now the Dorothy Gebauer Building)
Varsity teams referred to as "Longhorns"
1905
T.U. Taylor's grading mark called a "Ramshorn"
Architecture Department established
1906
T.U. Taylor becomes dean
1908
Engineers discover a statue at Jacoby's Beer Garden and Alexander Frederick Claire (Alec) is born
1910
Engineers Loan Fund created by Dean Taylor
1911
Department of Drawing established (ended in 1968)
UT's first library building (now Battle Hall) completed
1913
Students work on a steam turbo-generator test unit
1914
Mechanical Engineering Department established
1915
Division (later called Bureau) of Engineering Research created
Chemical Engineering Department established
1916
Tau Beta Pi, first engineering honor society in Texas, chartered
1917
First woman engineering student graduates - Alma C. Giesecke, B.S., Arch. 1917
1919
Engineering student body exceeds 500
1921
First M.S. degree awarded - J. Guiton Morgan, C.E. 1921
1923
The Santa Rita oil well blows in
Dean T.U. Taylor delivers eulogy for Pig Bellmont, UT's first bulldog mascot, run over by a Model T
1924
Miriam A. "Ma" Ferguson elected first woman governor of Texas
1926
Engineering operating budget tops $100,000
Dirty Martin's Place opens
1929
William H.P. Hunnicut, the first engineering graduate, with Dean T.U. Taylor and Robert Lee Lowry Jr., B.S. C.E., the 1,000th engineering graduate
1930
Petroleum Engineering Department established
The first University Round-Up occurs (a homecoming for alumni)
1931
Carl J. Eckhardt Jr., B.S. M.E. 1925, M.S. M.E. 1930, begins supervision of UT Tower construction
Engineering student body exceeds 1,000
1933
The College of Engineering moves into Taylor Hall
First Ph.D. degree awarded - Judson S. Swearingen, Ch.E. 1933
1935
Plan II honors program begins
1936
Willis R. Woolrich becomes the second dean
1937
T.U. Taylor becomes the first registered engineer in Texas
New Main Building dedicated
1938
UT graduate Leah Moncure, B.S. C.E. 1937, becomes the first woman to register as a professional engineer in Texas
1941
First Chemical Engineering Building - E. P. Schoch Lab - completed (no longer in engineering)
First Petroleum Engineering building completed (no longer in engineering)
1942
Aerospace Engineering Department established (originally called Aeronautical Engineering)
1945
Ceramic Engineering Department established (ended in 1959)
1947
Placement Center created (now called the Engineering Career Assistance Center)
Engineering Mechanics Department established (merged with Aerospace in 1968)
Architectural Engineering Department established (merged with Civil in 1969)
First female faculty member hired - Edith Clarke, Electrical Engineering
1948
Byron E. Short, B.S. M.E. 1926, M.S. M.E. 1930, becomes acting dean for two years while Dean Woolrich serves as science attache to the United States Embassy in London
1949
Engineering Operating Budget exceeds $1 million
1951
School of Architecture becomes autonomous and architecture degrees no longer awarded by College of Engineering
1952
"Operation Gopher" begins - engineering students dig out basement of Taylor Hall to create the "Taylor T-Room"
1955
"Hook 'em Horns" sign introduced to campus
Engineering Foundation established
1957
First Distinguished Graduate honored - Julian C. Montgomery, B.S. C.E. 1912
1958
William W. Hagerty becomes dean
1959
John W. Hargis, BS Ch.E., 1959, becomes first African-American male student to graduate from the university
W. R. Woolrich Hall completed
1963
John J. McKetta Jr. becomes dean
Engineering Science Building completed
1964
Ervin S. Perry, M.S. C.E. 1961, Ph.D. C.E. 1964, becomes first African-American faculty member at the university
1965
First endowed professorship established by Henry J. Beckman
1966
Engineering Operating Budget tops $5 million
1967
Engineering Cooperative Education Program established
1969
AstroTurf installed on football field
Beauford H. Jester Center opens as one of the largest dorms in the world
1970
Earnest F. Gloyna , M.S. C.E. 1949, becomes dean
Equal Opportunity in Engineering Program created
1973
First endowed scholarship established in honor of Neena M. Woolrich
1974
Ernest Cockrell Jr. Hall completed
Friends of Alec established
1975
Engineering Research Expenditures exceeds $5 million
1979
First endowed classroom/laboratory established by Z.D. Bonner, B.S. Ch.E. 1941
First endowed chair established by the Cockrell Foundation - Earnest and Virginia Cockrell Chair in Engineering
Engineering student body exceeds 5,000
1981
Robert L. Crippen, B.S. As.E. 1960, pilots the first space shuttle
1983
Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corp. (MCC), a research consortium, decides to locate its research center in Austin spawning a new era in UT engineering programs in micro-electronics and computers
Engineering Teaching Center II completed
1985
Engineering research expenditures exceed $25 million
New Chemical and Petroleum Engineering building dedicated
1986
Herbert H. Woodson becomes dean
1989
Engineering research expenditures exceed $50 million
1992
Women in Engineering Program created
1994
UT graduate Jean M. Flynn, B.S. As.E. 1990, becomes the first woman fighter pilot in the U.S. Air Force
1996
Ben G. Streetman, B.S. E.E. 1961, M.S. E.E. 1963, Ph.D. E.E. 1966, becomes dean
2001
Proposed first satellite launch by UT, managed by Center for Space Research
Biomedical Engineering Department established
Engineering annual research expenditures exceed $100 million
2002
Friends of Alec begins the student "Alec Building" contest
College ranks 10th in U.S. News & World Report
Work on the new T-Room begins in ETC II (home of the Mechanical Engineering Department)
2003
Centennial anniversary celebrated by both the Civil and Electrical Engineering Departments
Friends of Alec annual giving program reaches $1 million in alumni giving
2005
Civil Engineering Department renamed to Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering
2007
College of Engineering renamed "Cockrell School of Engineering"
2008
ETC II T-Room, Curry Atrium and Byron Short Entryway dedicated
Biomedical Engineering Building dedicated
Gregory L. Fenves becomes dean
White House awards Medal of Technology to Drs. Adam Heller and Grant Willson
Cockrell School research expenditures exceed $150 million
2009
White House awards Dr. John Goodenough the Enrico Fermi award for development of lithium-ion batteries to power portable phones, computers, electric vehicles, etc.
The University of Texas at Austin licenses technology for skin cancer detection developed by Biomedical Engineering Professor James Tunnel
Mechanical and biomedical engineering students begin scrubbing in at the Heart Hospital of Austin to learn about the latest cardiovascular procedures and technologies
2012
Chemical engineering department named in honor of John McKetta, becoming the McKetta Department of Chemical Engineering
2013
Professor John Goodenough awarded National Medal of Science for his lasting contributions to materials science and technology
Professor C. Grant Willson wins Japan Prize his development of a process that is now used to manufacture nearly all of the microprocessors and memory chips in the world.
UT System Board of Regents approve $310 million funding plan for construction of the Engineering Education and Research Center (EERC)
Gregory L. Fenves named UT Austin Executive Vice President and Provost
2014
Sharon L. Wood named ninth dean of the Cockrell School, becoming the school's first female dean
Cockrell School alumnus T.W. Whaley bequests $35 million for scholarships to Texas' top students, making it the largest donation of its kind in UT Austin history
Construction on the Cockrell School's newest facility, the EERC, begins