Undergraduate Admissions

Explore the Cockrell School’s engineering degrees to discover which areas best match your interests and aptitudes.

Freshman Applicants

The Office of Admissions is responsible for the admission of first-year undergraduate students to The University of Texas at Austin.

Visit the Freshman Applicants page


External Transfer Applicants

Students seeking admission to the Cockrell School of Engineering with 24 hours of transferable credit from other colleges or universities are classified as external transfer students.

Visit the External Transfer Applicants page


Internal Transfer Applicants

Internal transfer applicants are students enrolled at UT Austin who are seeking to change their major within or into the Cockrell School of Engineering.

Visit the Internal Transfer Applicants page


International Student Applicants

Both UT Austin and the Cockrell School provide a variety of programs to assist international students.

Read more
Students who are non-U.S. citizens and do not hold U.S. Permanent Residence Status should visit the university's international undergraduate admissions page for more information about undergraduate and graduate internal student admissions. Students may also seek assistance from UT's International Office.

Readmission to the Cockrell School

Students not registered at UT Austin for fall or spring semester will have to submit a readmission application.

Read more
Students seeking to re-enter the Cockrell School after scholastic dismissal from the university must enroll as an undeclared major unless there is a reasonable likelihood that they can complete the degree plan under which they last registered. Students seeking to re-enter the school after dismissal from engineering must enroll as undeclared majors and may not enroll in engineering courses.

Degree Holder/Non-Degree Seeker

A student who holds a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, including The University of Texas at Austin, may apply for admission as a non-degree student in one of the university's undergraduate colleges or schools.

Read more
Students seeking admission but not pursuing a degree should follow the process for undergraduate transfer applicants, and are considered on a competitive basis with transfer applicants for the same semester. Some undergraduate majors are not open to non-degree students. Applicants must select from available non-degree majors.

Non-degree students are subject to rules that apply to other undergraduates. With the approval of the admissions office, non-degree students may later change to degree-seeking status in an undergraduate college or school.

With the approval of the instructor and the graduate adviser, a non-degree student may take any graduate course for which he or she meets the prerequisite. However, graduate courses taken while enrolled as an undergraduate non-degree student may not later be counted toward a graduate degree.

Engineering Student Services

Contact Engineering Student Services (ESS) for answers about policies, procedures, support services and programs.

Location: Engineering Education and Research Center (EER), 2.848 
Street Address: 2501 Speedway
E-mail: studentservices@engr.utexas.edu
Phone: 512-471-4321
Hours: Mon-Fri, 8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m

Campus Visits & Tours

A visit to campus is one of the best ways to learn about the university's academic programs, student services, and community life. We encourage future students and their parents to register for an Engineering Information Session to learn more about the Cockrell School and the university.

Read more